Background to the Role
Blackrock Credit Union (the ‘Credit Union’) invites applications from suitably qualified candidates who would be interested in volunteering as non-executive directors (‘Directors’) on the Board of the Credit Union. The board of directors is responsible and accountable to the membership for the general control, direction and management of the credit union.
Blackrock Credit Union is owned by its members. The membership of the credit union elects a volunteer Board of Directors. Elections take place at our Annual General Meeting each year with applications invited in the months leading up to that meeting. Board members are initially elected for a three-year term. Voting is conducted by secret ballot at the AGM and a member elected as a director shall take office at the close of the AGM at which he or she is elected.
In accordance with the Credit Union Act, the role carries no remuneration, but all reasonable out of pocket expenses are reimbursed.
- You must be a member of Blackrock Credit Union or be qualified to become a member.
- As part of the Fitness and Probity requirements of the Central Bank of Ireland, all directors must be (i) competent and capable (ii) honest, ethical and act with integrity, and (iii) financially sound.
Minimum estimated time commitment
The role of a credit union director involves a considerable time commitment.
- There are 10 - 12 regular board meetings per year lasting approx. 2-3 hours per meeting. These meetings take place in the evening and video conferencing is available.
- 1-2 hours is required in advance of the meeting to read the Board Pack (depending on agenda items)
- Committee meetings - approximately 1 hour depending on content.
- Training & development - Directors are required by legislation to complete certain education/training sessions. All director training expenses are reimbursed by the Credit Union.
If you feel you match the criteria, and have the time available to carry out the role of Director, then simply attach your CV and forward via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alternatively, please forward your CV to Chairman, Nominations Committee, 1 Carysfort Avenue Blackrock Co Dublin
If you have any questions in relation to your application, please email email@example.com and we will be delighted to give whatever assistance you may need.
Nomination Committee, Blackrock Credit Union